As of January 1st, 2012, the Town of Hampton will be taking over residential garbage and compost collection for the municipality. The Town aims to provide innovative waste management services to our residents in an efficient, effective and courteous manner creating environmental sustainability, promoting diversion and maintaining a clean town.
All residences have received a large roadside garbage bin. Continue to use the existing compost bin for your compost. Routes and Collection days are subject to change from the current set-up. All waste must be curbside by 7am, as no street will be revisited.
It is important to note:
- All garbage must be bagged before placing it in your bin
- Only garbage INSIDE the bin will be collected
- Ensure that the handle and wheels of the garbage cart are facing the road when placed curbside on collection day
- Regularly composting and recycling will greatly reduce the amount of garbage from your household
- To arrange a bulky item pick-up, call 832-6065
- Civic addresses must be posted to receive any municipal service
Green Cart Composting
• Store your Compost Cart out of direct sunlight.
• Wrap food waste in newspaper, brown paper bags, or special compostable bags.
• Add baking soda, garden lime, or yard clippings to help absorb odours.
• Greasy or soiled cardboard and paper can be composted. Clean, dry cardboard and paper belongs in the blue bins at your local Recycling Depot.
• Please no plastic bags in the Compost Cart. Special compostable bags accepted only.
• Carts hold a maximum of 50 kg or 100 lbs.
Bones * Breads * Candy * Cheese * Coffee grounds & filters * Cooked or raw food *
Cooking oil, grease & fat * Dairy products * Eggs & shells * Fruits / vegetables & peelings * Gourds * Gum * Meat, bones & fish * Noodles * Nuts * Pasta * Peanut butter * Peanuts * Pizza * Pumpkins * Rhubarb & leaves * Rice * Sauces * Seeds * Shellfish, including shells * Tea leaves & bags * Yogurt
Brush * Cedar clippings * Grass clippings (not chemically treated) * Leaves * Pine cones * Plants
* Roots * Sawdust & wood shavings * Seeds * Straw & hay * Twigs & branches (2-inch diameter or less) * Weed
Feathers * Hair (human & pet) * Cardboard Ice cream cartons * Kitty litter (clay-based only, must be in compostable bag or wrapped in newspaper) * Paper food wrap & bags * Paper plates (no Styrofoam) * Paper napkins & paper towels when soiled with food waste *
Pet waste (must be in compostable bag or wrapped in newspaper) * Pizza boxes (greasy or soiled) * Popcorn & microwaveable bag * Popsicle sticks * Muffin liners
x Ashes x Baby diapers x Cigarette butts x Chemically-sprayed grass x Clothes & rags x Coffee & fast food cups x Dryer sheets & lint x Glass, metal & plastic x Medical waste x Personal hygiene products x Rocks, bricks & gravel x Milk cartons x Paint, motor oil or gasoline x Plastic bags x Q-tips x Vacuum cleaner bags & contents x Wax
Yard Waste, Twigs and Branches
The Town does an annual brush clean-up in the spring. In addition the Leisure Services Department offers a year-round Leaf Collection bin at the Hampton Community Centre. Please click this link to determine acceptable yard waste and twigs for your compost cart.
Collect your recyclables and take them to the recycling depot (the blue bins) located at the lower parking lot of the Service New Brunswick location on Wm. Bell Dr.
PAPER AND BOXBOARD (all items must be clean and dry)
Newspapers * Magazines * Flyers * Telephone books * Hardcover books * Computer paper * Coloured paper * Paperback books * Posters * Envelopes * Cereal boxes * Paper towel rolls * Cracker boxes, etc
x No wax paper x No gift wrap
CORRUGATED CARDBOARD – the cardboard with the wavy piece in the middle (please flatten all boxes)
* Moving boxes * Heavy Duty boxes
METAL, PLASTIC BAGS/PLASTIC FILM, RIGID PLASTIC (all items must be clean and dry)
Tin cans * Coat hangers * Aluminum pie plates *Grocery and shopping bags * Dry cleaner wrap * Clean 'shrink' wrap * Clean bread and frozen food bags * Any 'soft' plastic you can crumple in your hand like a plastic bag * Ice cream tubs * Yogurt containers * Bleach jugs * Antifreeze containers * Plastic milk jugs * Ketchup bottles * Pill bottles
x No Styrofoam
PLEASE NOTE: glass is no longer accepted at the blue bins for recycling.